I have always found the mystique of gelatine somewhat threatening in the kitchen. As with all recipes that involve rapid stirring of a liquid that has to be brought to an exact temperature to avoid globulation (?!), I have always avoided panna cotta recipes. For this reason, I have only ever eaten supermarket versions...until now.
What made me do it? The packet of gelatine leaves perched redundantly on the top shelf of my kitchen cupboard. It looked sad and fruitless and wholly unexplored. Even if it meant failure and despair, I had to give it a shot.
I got the idea for grapefruit and blueberry from a fruit smoothie I made a while ago. It was deliciously zesty and fresh - another point to this much underrated citrus. Thankfully, it made the perfect antidote to the rich and creamy element of the panna cotta (however, I used half cream to half Greek yoghurt and semi-skimmed milk, which tasted every bit as dreamy as all-cream, just tangier and sprightlier).
This pudding is truly sublime. The smooth, set cream is delicate and fragrant, yet also greatly comforting. Then you get a hit of sharp and zingy blueberry compote, bringing everything together into one big happy smiling dancing mouthful. And. It is so easy. I know it's a cliché, but if I can do it, anyone can. I urge you to give it a go, and to try out different flavours. Yum : )
Grapefruit Panna Cotta (serves 2, or 4 mini ones)
150 ml double cream
75 ml unsweetened natural yoghurt
75 ml milk
1 3/4 leaves gelatine
juice of half a grapefruit
25 g caster sugar
Immerse the gelatine leaves in the grapferuit juice in a dish and leave for 5-10 minutes.
Heat the cream and milk gently in a saucepan, until it almost reaches simmering point.
At this point, reduce the heat and add the sugar, stirring until it has completely dissolved. Then take the pan off the heat.
Place the gelatine leaves, one by one, into the cream/milk mixture and stir rapidly until dissolved. Continue stirring gently while you gradually add the grapefruit juice (don't worry if some of the grapefruit flesh goes in, because this just means you will get lovely little jewel-like pockets of juice throughout your panna cotta!).
Once everything has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, divide it between your chosen containers (ramekins or moulds are best if you wish to turn the panna cottas out onto a plate, but a glass tumbler looks really pretty and elegant if you just wish to serve them as they are, with a layer of blueberry compote on top).
Put them in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
Blueberry compote
half a punnet of blueberries
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp grapefruit juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
1 tsp port (optional)
1 tsp grapefruit zest, grated
Put the fruit juices, half of the water, and the sugar in a saucepan and heat so that the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and add the blueberries and grapefruit zest.
Let the mixture simmer and the blueberries will start to pop and ooze their juice.
Keep simmering gently, uncovered so that it evaporates and goes almost syrupy.
Add the port, if you wish, and the rest of the water. Turn up the heat and let it boil for about 5 minutes.
Let it cool and serve it over or on the side of the panna cotta.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting my blog :) Feel free to leave a comment/question/idea...