Saturday, 5 February 2011

Lemon Squares


Do you like lemon curd? I love lemon curd. However, it has to be as sharp and zesty as possible, otherwise you end up with a clacky mouthful of buttery egg. 
These squares are utterly delicious. Their dainty size and citrussy freshness makes them ideal for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up but the butter-rich shortbread base and the set-but-still-squidgy lemon curd layer makes them incredibly moreish.
I must admit, I was a little disheartened when I removed them from the oven - the lemon custard had baked set and was reminiscent of an omelette, with air bubbles and sporadic brown freckles over the surface. All it took was for me to slice the traybake into squares, to reveal the creamy middle layer, and I knew it was going to be good. And that is what renders these squares eye-wideningly scrumptious.

N.B. - when storing these, make sure you separate the layers with some greaseproof paper because if the shortbread base of one square comes into contact with the sticky topping of another, you end up with soggy bottomed squares - a sorry waste!

Lemon Squares (makes 30 pieces)
from Cakes & Slices - Murdoch Books

125g (4 1/2 oz) butter, softened 
75g (2 1/2 oz) caster sugar
155g (5 1/2 oz) plain flour, sifted

4 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
250g (9oz) caster sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice (I used a fair bit more to make them really zingy!)
1 tso grated lemon zest
30g (1oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 F/Gas 4). Lightly grease a 8x12 inch rectangular shallow baking tin and line the base with baking parchment, leaving the paper to hang over the long sides.
Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Fold in the flour with a metal spoon until roughly combined. Press into the tin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and firm. Leave to cool in the tin. 
Beat the eggs and sugar for two minutes, or until light and fluffy. 
Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Sift together the flour and baking powder and gradually whisk into the egg mixture.
Pour onto the base. Bake for about 25 minutes (mine didn't take this long) or until just firm and slightly golden. Leave to cool in the tin. Once cool, cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar just before serving, if desired.
N.B. - this full recipe will make around 30 squares, contrary to what my photograph shows - I halved the quantity, put it into a smaller square tin and it yielded 16 pieces, so do not be confused!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog :) Feel free to leave a comment/question/idea...