Today has just been one of those days and the only things keeping me from curling up in a ball and weeping are making this loaf and the prospect of this evening's episode of Nigella Kitchen.
In true frugal foodie fashion, I raided the cupboards and used up an old tub of glacé cherries and the dregs of a bag of desiccated coconut to make this cake, which I am going to take into work tomorrow.
Ahh, Cake Fridays how I love you :)
This is a Martin Wishart recipe from a tear-out from a 2006 (haha!) issue of The Herald Magazine. I stuck fairly loyally to the recipe, just adding some lemon zest to the loaf mixture and some lemon juice to the glacé icing.
Cherry & Coconut Loaf
325g self raising flour
175 g butter
175 g caster sugar
2 eggs
100 ml milk
200g glacé cherries, quartered
50g desiccated coconut
pinch of salt
abound 1 tbsp lemon zest
icing sugar, lemon juice, and water to make a thick glacé icing.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4
Sift the flour and salt and then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Toss the cherries in the coconut to coat them and add to the flour mixture.
Stir in the sugar and lemon zest.
Beat the eggs and add them, followed by the milk, stir well until fully combined (use enough milk to achieve a fairly stiff, dropping consistency).
Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin (greased and lined), smooth the top and bake for 80-90 minutes.
*You may find you have to cover the top of the loaf with some kitchen foil after about 50 minutes to avoid burning.*
When the loaf is cool, spoon over the icing and gently spread it out.
I have to admit, I was kicking myself somewhat for leaving it to cool, uncovered, for most of the day whilst at work, because when I came home it had dried out a little and the outer 'shell' has gone very hard and biscuity! However, the inside remained soft and pale, studded with those translucent, glistening rubies...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting my blog :) Feel free to leave a comment/question/idea...