Sunday, 28 November 2010

Salmon topped with Sundried Tomato Pesto

First of all, I'm going to put something out there - I love fish. I really do. I think it's the simplicity of it that appeals, its cleanliness and versatility. A good piece of fish can carry itself quite beautifully, unadulterated it is naturally delicious. But it also promises potential for a plethora of creations - curries, fish stews, goujons, fishcakes, sandwiches, salads...Equally yum, but all very different. 

Salmon is a staple in my home. Usually we bake it in foil, with some lemon juice and zest, and let it speak for itself. However, sundried tomatoes and chillies are not such a staple, and when nearing their expiry date, I simply have to use them up. 

I called this topping pesto. I exaggerated. It's a paste, really. A paste of stuff that tastes good and strong. It is also easy peasy to whizz up. Job done :) 


Sundried Tomato Pesto

100g sun dried or sun blush tomatoes
just under a tablespoon of olive oil (or the oil the tomatoes come in)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp finely chopped chillies 
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp root ginger, chopped

2 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp toasted pine nuts 

Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for about 2 minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic, and chillies, followed by the tomatoes. Keep everything moving so that the garlic does not burn. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the herbs and pine nuts, cook for 2 minutes more. 
Blitz the mixture using a stick blender or a food processor, until you get a rough paste. Add a little water if it is too dry and thick. Season to taste.
Spread on top of salmon fillets (or whichever fish you like) and bake, in foil, for 10-15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog :) Feel free to leave a comment/question/idea...