Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Thank You, Tesco!

Tesco has launched a Christmas Cupcake decorating competition and as soon as I found out I simply had to get started on my entry. Despite my tenacious belief that Christmas should not be rushed (this year I noticed the shops getting into festive mode in September! September!)...I made an exception, considering the deadline is 29th November!




Veering away from the idea of snowmen and Christmas trees, I wished to make something really rustic and  reminiscent of a Christmas Wreath. This also meant that I got to have my very first fruit-crystallising experience! I was extremely tempted to dip half the clementine slice in dark chocolate but I controlled myself, for the sake of the cake's appearance. Simplicity all the way!

The sponge is flavoured with clementine zest, cinnamon and cloves and the buttercream icing has a squeeze of lemon juice in it.

Spiced Clementine Cupcakes (makes 6)

2oz butter, very soft
2 oz caster sugar
2oz self-raising flour
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp warmed milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
1 tsp clementine/orange zest

Preheat oven to 190 degrees C/375 degrees F/Gas Mark 5.

Beat together the butter and sugar.
Add the dry ingredients (sifted) and beaten egg, and beat well.
Stir in the milk and orange zest.
Fill muffin or bun cases about half full and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Have fun decorating the cakes as you wish! (I used lemon buttercream, crystallised clementine, dried cranberries, and golden balls, finished with a tiny snowdrift of icing sugar and ground cinnamon!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog :) Feel free to leave a comment/question/idea...